Thursday, March 20, 2014

Stuck in an Elevator

Have you read this article yet?  It's the story of a 3 year old falling from a third floor apartment window being saved by a couple with a MATTRESS on the sidewalk?!

A mattress on a sidewalk!?  What are the odds of that!?  I mean how many times have you seen people walking down the street with a mattress?  If you had been on my street yesterday, you would have seen people walking down the street with a table and a grill, but we are all weird so that doesn't count! A mattress, people, a mattress!

They saved that baby's life with a mattress!  A mattress!

You know what is even more amazing!?  They got stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes earlier in the day.  If they had not gotten stuck, the mattress would have been moved 30 minutes earlier and the outcome could have been significantly different.

This story stuck with me.

You know, I'm sure when they were stuck for 30 minutes on the elevator it was not seen as a good thing.  I would have been paralyzed with fear had I been with them.  I tend to get a touch claustrophobic.  I'm sure I would have wondered why this had happened!?  What had I done to get stuck in an elevator!?  Couldn't we please hurry up, I'm trying to move!?  I hate moving!  I hate elevators!  Get me out of here!  NOW! Why me, God?  Why me!?  I. WANT. OUT. NOW!

Those would have been my thoughts anyway. Crazy, much?

But, thankfully they DID get stuck.  What would have (and probably did) seem like a trial or a problem, turned out to be such a blessing!  They were on a sidewalk with a mattress at just the right time!

I now have a new saying for hard times in my life.  I'm going to start referring to challenges, setbacks, trials, hardships, failures, and generally anything that appears to be negative, as being "stuck in an elevator."  I hope it will be a reminder to me that I might be going through this hardship for a greater blessing or outcome down the road.

I truly believe that all things work towards the greater good.  Romans 8:28:  And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  

So, not to get all preachy, but I pray that if you ever find yourself going through something hard, you might consider thinking of it as a part of a bigger plan.  Maybe God will use your struggle for something you will see 30 minutes later as a blessing, like this couple.  Maybe it will be weeks, months, or years before you see the positive result.  Maybe you will never see a positive result from a negative happening.....but I trust that it is there even when we can't see it.  There are things of this world we just don't always have the eyes to see.

The reporters called this an act of luck.....I choose to see it as divine intervention played out in an elevator.